Thursday 27 April 2017

Visiting western Germany

When I left Prague I went back to Dresden to meet my friend for lunch and a final catch-up before I had to catch the train for the four hour journey back to Frankfurt. The next morning I got back on another train and headed to Baden Baden for a few days.

Baden Baden is a charming spa town on the western edge of Germany; and also the place my aunt and uncle live.

My relatives had moved home since my last visit and were living in a little town on the outskirts of Baden Baden near the French border (you could actually see into France from the street). The area has lots of small farms and while they live in a normal street of houses and flats, their back windows look up to a vineyard and I lay in bed each morning and watched the sun come up over the vines.

Spring has well and truly sprung in Baden Baden and every garden was full of blooms. Lawns boasted patches of tiny daisies and bluebells and there were streets edged in flowering cherry trees and almond blossoms. There was even a little tulip farm around the corner!

After a rapturous reunion and catch-up on the news, we went for a drive around the area and popped into the city for lunch and a hot chocolate in a little cafe.

The next day we drove to a nearby town to check out a local linen maker that designs and manufactures their materials on the premises. The building was set on a larger block and had rows of flowering trees running down the hill.

People in this corner of Germany really love to celebrate Easter and everywhere we went, we saw seasonal decorations of rabbits, eggs, ribbons and chickens on homes, balconies, shops and even in town squares.

After a pleasant afternoon meandering around different areas, we went home for a nap and then my aunt cooked me the most amazing coq a vin for dinner. She is an awesome cook so it was a completely delicious meal. So spoiled.






0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
© Expressionate
Graphics for Website Background by Sassy Designs